The Q&A Archives: Iris Seed Pod

Question: Have you ever heard of the flower Iris (rhizome grown) producing a seed pod? My aunt had one do just that! It produced several dozen seeds. <br>

Answer: As a matter of fact I have. I have never seen it in on an iris in "real life" but we discussed the appearance of a seed pod appearing on the iris of a fellow student during a Master Gardener lecture. Unfortunately, like the seeds of other rhizome/bulb/tuber/corm plants they are not very reliable. Some will not germinate at all, some grow some really strange things. Once I harvested seeds from calla lily pods and tried to grow them. I did everything could have done open heart surgery on my seed flats they were so pristine. Guess what happened? Nothing. I imagine these seeds may be useful to breeders but not to regular old gardeners like myself.