The Q&A Archives: Poison Sumac In Shrubs

Question: How can I kill Poison Sumac that is growing in my shrubs without killing the shrubs?

Answer: In my experience an herbicide containing glyphosate can be most carefully applied to the foliage by wiping it onto the leaves rather than spraying it. This allows you better control and lessens the chance of accidental contact with foliage on desirable plants. If the sumac foliage is in close proximity to the foliage on the desirable plants, you may be able to shield one or the other or otherwise separate them using cardboard or plastic, or even by gently tying them aside with old nylon stockings or strips of stretchy soft fabric, leaving this in place until the herbicide is fully dried. Also, be sure to carefully read and follow all of the label applications with regard to correct dilution and application and be sure you are using a product formulated for the woody plants or brush.