The Q&A Archives: Egyptian Pattern Plant In Winter

Question: I just purchased an egyptian pattern plant and would like some suggestions on keeping it through the winter so it will bloom again next summer?

Answer: Acanthus mollis is considered cold hardy to zone 7, meaning roughly between zero and ten degrees. Depending on your microclimate, it may be hardy for you. I would suggest watering it as needed to supplement rainfall and keep the soil evenly moist but not overly wet throughout the fall; this should help it become well established by winter. In late fall after some hard freezes have occurred, place a generous layer of mulch over the root zone but not over top of the plant. This should help insulate the roots during the coldest weather. Enjoy your Grecian pattern plant!