The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Perennials

Question: Can I transplant my Shasta daisies and Blackeyed Susans now ,or should I wait until Fall ?

Answer: In my experience, it is actually better to move or divide both of these plants in the very early spring just as growth is beginning. Late August to the beginning of September would be the second choice. Water the plants well the day before you do it, then water them in and mulch them. Follow up care includes keeping the soil evenly moist but not sopping wet while they become re-established. Your goal is to get them well rooted before the freezing weather hits but to avoid undue stress. August heat is stressful on plants that are well rooted, let alone on transplants or divisions. Good luck with the move!