The Q&A Archives: Why Won't My Carolina Jessamine Bloom?

Question: I have had two Carolina Jessamine plants in my backyard for several years. They have grown quite large and lush. They never seem to bloom though no matter what kind of fertilizer or watering pattern I use. What might be the cause of my problem?

Answer: Gelsemium sempervirens blooms most profusely in full sunshine. If your plants are getting too much shade, or too much nitrogen fertilizer, they may be reluctant to bloom. If your vines are planted next to a lawn, they will get a dose of fertilizer every time you feed your lawn. Excess nitrogen results in lush, green growth, at the expense of blooms. You may be able to shock it in to blooming by pruning it back to force new flowering wood. Best wishes with your plants!