The Q&A Archives: Help With Cherry White Weeping

Question: Is there another name for a "Cherry White Weeping"tree? My landscaper planted these trees and we are trying to find a fact sheet off of your site. I removed the tag from the nursury.

Answer: Unfortunately, there are many varieties of cherry that could be described that way. Weeping simply describes the form, white describes the flower color, and cherry would be Prunus in technical terms, but then there are many different kinds of Prunus. I would expect it to be some variety of Prunus serrulata or Japanese Flowering Cherry or Prunus subhirtella, Higan Cherry. As a group, these ornamental cherries grow best in full sun in average or better soil. They do not have any highly specialized care requirements, although you should keep an eye out for borers and other pests so any problems can be treated promptly. A year-round mulch is helpful, maintain it several inches deep over the root zone but not touching the trunk. If there are rabbits in your area you might consider putting up a wire mesh rabbit guard each winter. Finally, if the trees are staked or anchored, remove the ties as soon as the trees seem steady -- and loosen them before they bind into the bark. Enjoy your trees!