The Q&A Archives: Can Abelia Grandiflora Prostrata Be Started From Seed.....?

Question: My landscape design calls for Abelia Grandiflora 'prostrata' in a lovely pinkish color (over 200 plants to be used as a ground cover on our acre). My nursery says the wholesaler does not have it and it's not available from other growers in the NW. So, can I plant them from seed and is it feasible? Should I just pick another groundcover? Help! Thanks. :-)

Answer: Abelia x grandiflora 'Prostrata' is a cross between two Chinese species and therefore will not come true from seed. Your best bet is to purchase plants, and your local nursery should be able to locate flats of the plants for you. Mid-summer isn't the best time to find plants - growers concentrate on having stock available during peak planting times; spring and fall, so you may have difficulty getting plants prior to September or October. If you need to plant right away, you might try asking what is available, and then base your decision on whether to wait or choose a substitute groundcover. Good luck with your landscaping project!