The Q&A Archives: Schipka Laurel - New Foliage

Question: I planted a schipka laurel about 3-4 weeks ago. The new foliage leaves are about twice the size of the leaves on the plant when I bought it. Could this be a sign that it is not getting enough light?

Answer: This plant is very shade tolerant, however if it was accustomed to a great deal more sun prior to purchase, the change could cause somewhat of a change in the foliage. I would not expect such a pronounced abrupt change however. Another possibility would be overfertilization, particularly with nitrogen. These plants do not require an overly rich soil and any feeding should be done on the basis of soil test results indicating a need for supplements. If fertilizing is necessary, read and carefully follow package instructions and do not exceed recommended amounts. A granular fertilizer applied each spring would normally be adequate. Surprisingly, no fertilizer is better than too much.