The Q&A Archives: Keeping Dwarf Alberta Spruce In Pot

Question: Hi.

I was just wondering how long was too long to leave Dwarf Alberta Spruce in the pot that I bought them in and how I should care for them while they're in the pot. Is a year too long?

Dave Splan

Answer: Your dwarf Alberta Spruce can remain in the nursery container for a full year. After that, unpot and repot with fresh growing medium. At that time you can assess the rootmass and decide whether or not it needs to go into a slightly larger pot. Plan on unpotting, using new growing medium, and moving up to a larger container every 2-3 years. If you want to keep the same pot size, you can do some root pruning. If the top growth is out of scale and the roots completely fill the container, it's time to move it to a larger container. Provide your spruce with full sunshine, keep soil consistently moist (but not soggy wet), and fertilize lightly at the beginning of the growing season. (A liquid fertilizer diluted to package directions is the safest to use on containerized plants.)