The Q&A Archives: Ivy Geraniums

Question: I have been told that the roots of ivy Geraniums are very invasive and can kill other plants near them. Is this true? I have a low 40 foot wall in my back yard and I thought ivy Geranium would be beautiful cascading over it. If the roots are invasive , could I sink planter boxes to grow them in? I really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
Carroll Gibson

Answer: Perhaps you're confusing Ivy Geranium (Pelargonium peltatum) with ground ivy (Hedera). Ivy geranums are not at all invasive or aggressive. In fact, they're quite easy to keep under control. If it creeps into part of the garden where it's unwanted, you can simply pull it out. The roots are very easy to dislodge from the soil. On the other hand, common ivy can overtake a planting site in a matter of months. The roots are not toxic and won't kill off adjacent plants, but the vines can strangle nearby plants. Ivy can grow so dense that it will crowd out any other vegetation in its path. Your choice of ivy geranium to cascade over a wall is a good one. You'll enjoy the flowers all summer long!