The Q&A Archives: Flowers Falling Off During The Night On Bougainvillea

Question: I've had the Bougainvillea for a week now and the last 3 mornings I have found several flowers on the floor from the night. The plant is about 6 feet tall in a corner in the dining room facing a South window. I've also noticed that new flower buds are falling off as well (before they open). Should I be concerned? Is it not getting enough light? Thank you for your advice. Michelle

Answer: Since you've recently acquired your bougainvillea, it's probably going through an adjustment period, getting used to the atmosphere in your home. Bougainvillea likes warm temperatures in the summer, moist growing medium, bright light (some sunshine is beneficial), and ample humidity. If the air is dry, mist the leaves of your bougainvillea daily, or place the pot in a tray lined with gravel to which you've added a few inches of water. As the water evaporates, it will increase humidity around your plant.