The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover Between Pavers

Question: I'm looking for a ground cover to grow in-between pavers that would do well in zone 21 in California. The area is small (10 x 10)and is partially shaded. It needs to tolerate kid foot traffic too. I don't really want to deal with mowing lawn in such a small area. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Answer: Soleirolia soleirolii (Baby's Tears) and Pratia pedunculata(Blue Star Creeper) are two exceptional choices for planting between pavers in a shady spot. Baby's Tears forms a lush, medium-green mat and stands up to foot traffic. Blue Star Creeper has lighter green foliage and blooms all spring and summer with tiny, sky-blue flowers. It, too, will stand up to some foot traffic. You can also grow dichondra in between the pavers. While normally considered a lawn substitute in your gardening region, it will grow reliably between pavers, stand up to lots of foot traffic, and will not need regular mowing - keeping it short is just a matter of walking on it regularly.