The Q&A Archives: Vancouver Gold Broom

Question: In the Monrovia catalog you have placed the Vancouver Gold Broom in the deciduous shrub catagory however in the description you describe it as an evergreen. Which is it? I am looking for a plant for a fairly steep bank and the look of undulating mounds sound intriguing but I want green all year long and it should work well for zone 9. Vancouver Gold Broom sounds like a plant that evokes conversation. Certainly not your standard fare. Are the leaves green when not in bloom?

Great web site. I love how you can focus in on specific plants for your area. Your site has helped me a lot on planning our yard. I also had a chance to see your demonstration grounds in Woodlake. When I have time, I would love a tour.

Mimi Stoneburner

Answer: There's often confusion in classifying brooms. Some fall into the genus Cytisus and others are of the genus Genista. Of these, some are evergreen, some semi-evergreen and some are deciduous. 'Vancouver Gold' is Genista pilosa, a deciduous shrub growing 1 to 1 1/2' tall with a spread of 3-7'. It's perfect for a sunny slope. It has intricately branched gray-green twigs so it's interesting even during the short period of time when it has no leaves. Expect roundish, 1/2" long green leaves to appear in the early spring, followed by yellow-gold blooms.