The Q&A Archives: Shade Trees

Question: I saw a tree that's about 20 to 25 ft tall with a crown that extends sideways with a diameter of about 15 to 20 ft. It looks like a beach umbrella with tiny leaves. I would like to plant one in my garden. Do you have any idea what tree that is?

Answer: There are so many umbrella shaped trees, that it would be difficult to know which one you saw. Here are a few of the more popular weeping (umbrella shaped) trees:

BETULA PENDULA TRISTIS A graceful form of silver birch with steeply drooping branches; youngii is smaller, more compact and slow-growing.

BUXUS SEMPERVIRENS PENDULA A good weeping form of the common box.

CARAGANA ARBORESCEN PENDULA An attractive small weeping tree with yellow pea-shaped flowers and fernlike leaves.

CRATAEGUS MONOGYNA PENDULA A weeping hawthorn; pendula rosea has pink flowers.

FAGUS SYLVATICA PENDULA The weeping beech, making a big tree; purpureopendula is a weeping form of the purple beech.

FRAXINUS EXCELSIOR PENDULA The well-known weeping ash.

GLEDITSCHIA TRIACANTHOS A honey-locust with pendulous branches.

ILEX AQUIFOLIUM ARGENTEOMARGINATA PENDULA Perry's silver weeping holly; lots of berries.

LABURNUM ANAGYROIDES PENDULUM A gracefully weeping laburnum.

MALUS The following crab-apples have pendulous branches: M. floribunda' `Excellens Thiel', a small tree with crimson buds and pink flowers, floriferous but no fruit; M. prunifolia pendula, the weeping Siberian crab, with numerous small, scarlet, persistent fruit; M. pumila pendula `Elise Ratlike', a weeping form of the native crab.

MORUS ALBA PENDULA The weeping white mulberry is a small tree with perpendicular branches, the fruit is insignificant.

PRUNUS PERSICA'Windle Weeping' A weeping peach with double pink flowers; P. subhirtella pendula, the weeping spring cherry, has very numerous pale pink flowers; in pendula rubra they are deeper colored. P. yedoensis perpendens is a very pendulous form of the early

Yoshino cherry. PYRUS SALICIFOLIA PENDULA A very pendulous form of the silver willowleaved pear,

SALIX ALBA TRISTIS The now common weeping willow, eventually making a large tree.

SOPHORA JAPONICA PENDULA A small tree with slender branchlets falling perpendicularly.

SORBUS-ARIA A weeping form of the whitebeam. S. aucuparia pendula, a weeping form of the rowan. Both are small trees.

TILIA PETIOLARIS The weeping silver lime is a magnificent tree with a silvery sheen on the underside of the large leaves.

Hope this information is helpful!