The Q&A Archives: Chestnut Tree

Question: We planted a O'Neill Red Horse Chestnut tree about 2 1/2 months ago in the full sun and about 2 weeks ago the edges of the leaves are turning brown. We started watering our front yard with lawn sprinklers and it does hit the tree, but I'm not sure this is why the leaves are turning brown. (That's my guess!!) but my husband so probably not. Can you help us.

Answer: During its first two years in the landscape, the leaves of my chestnut tree developed crispy brown edges during the summer months, regardless of how frequently it was watered. I suspect it was trying to adjust to its new home. It has since recovered, and grows beautifully. Since chestnut trees appreciate moderate water, yours should be perfectly happy with the same amount of moisture you apply to your lawn. Give your tree a chance to establish and it should be just fine!