The Q&A Archives: Pruning Nile Lilies

Question: I am currently planting Dwarf Blue and Regular Nile Lilies (Peter Pan Flowers). They are currently sprouting flowers from the base. They are starting to die off and the green pods are remaining. Some are blooming again and some are not.

My question then is, when should I in essence "prune" the flowers? Should I just let the flower stems stay until the die off? Or should I cut them at a certain time and let them re-grow? Could you please tell me, if or when I should cut the stems?

Chris Cordes

Answer: Agapanthus, or Lily of the Nile, is a perennial plant with clumping foliage and tall stems which end in spherical clusters of funnel shaped flowers. To keep plants neat, cut the stems down to just below the clump of foliage when all the flowers are spent. The green pods are seed pods. Seed formation can sap the strength of the plant, so it's best to remove the flowering stem as soon as the flowers are past their prime.