The Q&A Archives: Sparse Flowers On Lacecap Hydrangea "bluebird"

Question: My lacecap hydrangea which is 7 years old has never flowered very much and stops producing flowers by the end of July. It is planted along the west foundation of the house which has filter shade in the afternoon. What would help it to flower more profusely?

Answer: Hydrangeas in general need an evenly moist soil (moist yet well drained meaning not sopping wet) that is humusy and rich. The droughts we have had recently have been rough on these plants. You might try mulching it with an organic mulch and applying compost and/or a complete granular fertilizer in the spring according to the label instructions. Also, you might try protecting it from excessive winter wind. This can kill off stems and/or buds which means fewer blooms the following summer. (This plant blooms on wood that grew the previous year.) Also, avoid pruning in fall winter or spring as this will remove flowering wood also. I hope this helps you trouble shoot.