The Q&A Archives: Nordic Inkberry And Polination

Question: I am considering planting the NORDIC? INKBERRY HOLLY
Ilex glabra 'Chamzin' Plant Patent No. 6962. Does it come in male and female plants? Do you need more than one plant to polinate and get fruit, or will I get fruit if I just plant one plant by itself?

Answer: Nordic is actually a male holly and so would not produce berries for you. In my experience, the berries on Ilex glabra are very subtle (they are small and dark and tend to be hidden beneath the foliage anyway) and not particularly ornamental so they are not usually considered of importance. Any pruning done to control size or tidy the silhouette would also remove most of them. Selections are more often made based on foliage coloring, ultimate size and habit as well as hardiness. This plant is rated hardy into zone 4, but it would require wind protection as well as an acid soil that is evenly moist for best results. (This plant is native to swamps and does not like dry conditions.) You might want to see the plant in person at a local nursery and consult with them as to whether or not it will do well in your yard, or if it will perform up to your expectations.