The Q&A Archives: Ligularia Leaf Holes

Question: I have two beautiful speciments of Ligularia. They grow well, bloom beautifully, but every year, they get nickle to quarter sized holes chewed in the middle of the leaves. I can find no signs of bugs or pests. Any ideas on what is causing this and how I can prevent?

Answer: These plants are not usually bothered by pests, but occasionally there will be slug or snail damage and it would match that description. You might not see slugs because they work at night. You could check at night with a flashlight and handpick them, or you could use diatomaceous earth (horticultural type DE, not swimming pool type) sprinkled on the soil surface around the plant, or you could try one of the new products such as Sluggo or Escargot, they are less dangerous to pets and other animals than the old metaldehyde baits were. These should be available in garden centers.