The Q&A Archives: Dying Willow Tree

Question: My weeping willow tree is now appx 60% dead. We are aware of an infestation of Carpenter Bees, which live in dead wood. What we don't know if there might be a more serious cause for the dead branches. We had it pruned about 3-4 years ago, and it dies more every year. Do you recommend severe pruning (all dead branches) along with a pesticide program to kill the infestation? Or something else? I've heard about soil/trunk injections, but are unsure. HELP.

Answer: A tree that's 60% dead needs an evaluation from a certified arborist. Insect and disease problems can account for the above-ground symptoms, but only an on-site evaluation can rule out root rot, heart rot, and other hidden problems that are not so easily cured. Look in your phone book for a local arborist or two and ask them to come out and make recommendations for your tree. Best wishes with your willow!