The Q&A Archives: Ground Cover

Question: My husband and I are trying to figure out a good ground cover for our slope. The slope is very large. (approx. 25' high and 190' long. We are looking for a fast grower and hardy. Our soil is sandy. Could you please recommend something? Also, we would like it to not attract bees. I would really appreciate any kind of advice.

Thank you!

Sharon Stramler

Answer: Evergreen, non-blooming groundcovers for sunny sites and sandy soil include Taxus baccata 'Repandens' (spreading English yew), Euonymus fortunei, Coprosma repens 'Marble Queen', Baccharis pilularis (dwarf Coyote Brush) and Juniperus sabina 'Tamariscifolia'. Vinca minor is another consideration and, while it flowers, it doesn't necessarily attract hoards of bees. Best wishes with your erosion control!