The Q&A Archives: Adult Size Of Thuya Plicata "atrovirens"

Question: Hello there, I would like to know if you have any information regarding the eventual adult size (height & width) of a Thuya Plicata "Atrovirens". I have looked in my Sunset Western Garden Book and cannot find any reference to this particular species.
Thank you for your attention.
Alysen Gervais

Answer: THUJA plicata 'atrovirens' is the Western Red Cedar. It will ultimately reach a height of 100' if allowed to grow naturally. If you'd rather train it into a hedge, prune annually to keep it at 6' in height. It's a fast growing evergreen conifer (about 2' a year) with cinnamon-red shredding bark and spreading branches. The bright glossy green leaves above, slightly grey beneath, are aromatic when crushed. Best on moist but not waterlogged soil but will tolerate shallow soil.