The Q&A Archives: Flowering Shrub An 'alfia' Or 'alphia'. What Is It?

Question: Is there a flowering shrub called 'Alfia' or 'Alphia'. This is the name my Mom calls it. It reminds me of a hibiscus, but it's not. She has several kinds, single petal white with red throat, and multi petal reds. I can't find this name anywhere and want to learn more about the plant.

Answer: The plant you describe sounds like Shrub Althea, commonly called Rose of Sharon. The botanical name is Hibiscus syriacus. As the flowers on your Mom's plant suggest, it is a member of the hibiscus family. Shrub Althea is a hardy perennial, growing about 10' tall and 6' wide. It's easy to grow, prefering heat and drought to cool, moist growing conditions. It's a rather common plant so you shouldn't have any trouble finding additional information - now that you know the plant's true identity!