The Q&A Archives: Eastern Redbud

Question: I beleive the type of tree that I have been admiring in areas while driving is an Eastern Redbud. The leaves are heart shaped and deep green. I don't see any flowering on the trees but I am assuming that the flowering time is over. The trees and large and have a light colored trunk that appears fairly smooth with verticle grooves in the trunk. All the ones that I have seen are multi-trunk. Does this sound like an Eastern Redbud? And, if so,
I am seeking information regarding the root structure of the Eastern Redbud. Is it aggressive? I am thinking of putting one in our front yard as the main focal point. How far away from structures should this type of tree be planted? I would appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Sharon Stramler

Answer: Redbuds (Cercis) do have heart-shaped leaves and the trees tend to hold clusters of flat, bean pod shaped seed pods throughout the summer and winter months. If the trees you're admiring have these persistent seed pods, they're probably Cercis. If so, they have no particular bad habits and can be safely planted about 30' away from a house. The mature size is 25'-30' tall and wide. Hope this information is helpful!