The Q&A Archives: Japnese Maples

Question: I recently lost a California live oak to armalaria and would like to replant with a tree resistant to the fungus. I've heard that Japanese Maples are resistant to armalaria root rot fungus, is that true? I've looked at the trees listed on your web site and am interested in the Oshio-Beni and the Japanese Maple. Curious about the sizes of trees you sell, cost, and where these varieties would be available. I would like to get the largest tree I possibly could if the price is not prohibitative. I would also like to compliment you on your very informative and well structured wed site.

Thank you for any info you can provide,
D. Baker

Answer: Oak root fungus (Armillaria mellea) sustains itself on buried wood (mostly dead roots) and can therefore remain in the soil long after the victimized tree has be cut down. Japanese maples are resistant to the fungus and can be planted where your former oak tree lived. Acer palmatum 'Oshio-Beni' is a choice specimen with graceful, arching branches and deeply lobed, finely toothed, brilliant red-orange leaves. The mature size of this tree is 15' tall and 18' wide. The largest container size available is 10-gallon. One of the following nurseries in your area may have in stock, or be able to get the tree for you. Thanks for the kudos on the website and best wishes with your new maple!

Armstrong/Monrovia #726
635 W. Huntington Drive
Monrovia, CA 91016
(626) 358-4516

Persson's Wholesale Nursery
3115 East Sierra Madre Blvd.
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 792-6073

Tatum's Nursery
1027 N. Altadena Drive
Pasadena, CA 91107
(626) 797-8111

Armstrong/Pasadena #737
352 E. Glenarm St.
Pasadena, CA 91106
(626) 799-7139

Las Tunas Nursery
1155 E. Las Tunas Drive
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 286-0119

San Gabriel Nsy & Florist
632 South San Gabriel Blvd.
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 286-0787