The Q&A Archives: Paraguay Nightshade

Question: I bought a Paraguay nightshade a couple of months ago and planted it into a 26 gallon pot. I've been watering it 3 times a week and noticed I'm getting yellow leaves that are falling off. Could I be watering it to much? It gets full sun all day.

Thank you.

Answer: I agree, you are probably overwatering. Solanun rantonnetii (Paraguay nightshade) is a versatile plant and will trail as a groundcover, form a shrub, or grow into a tree-like shape, depending upon how you pinch and prune it. It likes soil on the dry side, so when you water, water thoroughly, but then allow the top 2-3 inches of soil to dry out before watering again. If just the lower leaves are turning yellow, it's a normal process. If you have yellowing leaves throughout the plant, adjust your watering regime and it should help the plant. Best wishes!