The Q&A Archives: Poisonous VIne Id

Question: I can ID poison ivy, poison sumac, poison oak. I have a rash that was not caused by any of these as far as I know. I think the culprit is a vine with ivy-like leaves, a very thin vine with a small, green pea-like ball every so often along the vine. Can you ID and is it poisonous or able to cause an allergic reaction? If so, how do I eradicate it?
I do try to avoid known allergens as I am very susceptible. But this on is an unknown. The only other thing I came in contact with is Virginai creeper and that has not caused rashes in previous contacts.

Answer: In my experience, people who initially tend to have an allergic reaction or contact dermatitis to a few plants often tend to be sensitive to more and more different plants over time. (This is happening to me. I am sensitive to tomato plants, for example, certainly not a plant most people would have a problem with.) If you know you are sensitive to this vine, then you will need to avoid it. And since you seem to be sensitive to a number of things I would suggest you wear gloves routinely and possibly long sleeves and long pants to protect yourself from contact with additional potential future sources of irritation. Most plants can be eradicated over time by repeated pulling and digging, by smothering, or by using glyphosate according to the label instructions. Your county extension should be able to help you identify the plant if you take them a sample and possibly also a photo.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Coreopsis"