The Q&A Archives: Care Of Pomegranate

Question: I have a Toyosho pomegranate that the previous inhabitants of my house got from Monrovia more than a year ago and it's quite rootbound in its 1-gallon pot. It's about 4 feet tall and trained as a standard. At this point I'd like to get it settled in the ground somewhere and I'm wondering when is the best way to do that - at this time of year?

Answer: Pomegranate (Punica granatum) is a deciduous tree or shrub that grows best in full sunshine and needs very little water once established. The leaves are narrow, begin with a bronzy color, turn glossy bright green in summer, and may turn yellow in the autumn months. It grows to about 10' tall. Yours has a fountain-shape, produces orange-red flowers about 4" across in the spring, and sets fruit that matures in late summer or early autumn. Pomegranates tolerate average to alkaline soil and will adapt to growing in containers. The best time to transplant trees and shrubs is during the cooler months of spring or fall, when natural rainfall is abundant. Good luck with your pomegranate!