The Q&A Archives: Browning Tips On Anthurium

Question: Anthurium leaves are turning brownish on tips which I cut out. Did I overwater? The store said to water every other day.

Answer: Anthurium can be very difficult to grow at home because it needs warmer temperatures (75 is good, keep it away from air conditioner -- and heating -- vents) and very humid air -- about 70% is great so think jungle -- and it often deteriorates with the shock of being moved away from the ideal conditions of the grower's greenhouse. Usually browning tips are due to lack of humidity, so you could try placing it on a humidity tray (gravel or pebbles in a shallow tray of water with the water level kept just below the top of the pebbles, then place the pot on the pebbles) or using a humidifier.

You also need to water enough to keep the soil slightly moist at all times, but not sopping wet and never leave it standing in water in the drip tray beneath it. Overly wet soil can cause problems such as root rot.

Finally, it is possible the plant is in too much sunlight. It needs a bright location but not direct sun. If it is near a window, you could try moving it back into the room a bit. Good luck with your anthurium.