The Q&A Archives: Growing A Vine For A Trellis

Question: I had a beautiful landscaping job completed for my backyard- but have had no success planting a vine that will cover my trellis. It is in all-day sun- in heat & at times- high winds. The landscaper put the trellis in for me- but not the plants for this project. (It is a long story). I have tried trumpet vines, climbing roses- and now a bougainvillea. HELP !!! Thank you very much-Stephanie

Answer: Regular strong winds can wreak havoc on plants. Water stress is one common problem; constant wind pulls moisture from foliage faster than roots can draw it from the soil. I'm afraid the plants you've tried are not known for their heat and wind tolerance. You might have better success with Fallopia baldschuanica (lace vine), Muehienbeckia (mattress vine), or Tecoma capensis (Cape Honeysuckle). Good luck with your new plant!