The Q&A Archives: Caring For A Styrax Japonicus Seedling (in April) Now In A Pot

Question: We bought a styrax japonicus seedling in a pot in April. It has grown nicely over the summer. Should we plant it outside now and let it go through its natural cycle of losing leaves in the winter, etc. Or should we maybe put it in a bigger pot and keep it inside for this winter?

Answer: In my experience, it is better to plant it outside in a sheltered location (with a wire mesh barrier around it to protect it from rodents and from being stepped on accidentally) and mulch around it well in late fall once the ground has frozen. I would plant it now, in September so it has some time to root before the soil cools down. Alternatively, you could keep the pot in a cold frame. I would not suggest keeping it inside for the winter. Enjoy your styrax!