The Q&A Archives: Nursing A Silver Cloud Redbud

Question: My silver cloud redbud is doing the following:
growing only on one side with no signs of new growth elsewhere doing better after treatment with root growth hormone and moving it into shade. What can I do to encourage growth on the other side?

Answer: Cercis (redbud) grows in full sun to light shade. Your Silver Cloud has green and white marbled leaves, and the green will intensify when grown in light shade. Cercis needs well-draining soils and moderate water throughout the growing season. Now that you've moved your redbud, give it some time to adjust to its new home. Pruning encourages new growth. In the spring, when new growth begins, prune it back to encourage new branches and twigs on the bare side. Given time, and some light pruning, it should fill out and grow nicely for you.