The Q&A Archives: Brown Leaves On Hardy Gladoilus This Year-many Did Not Flower

Question: A Lot of my hardy glads did not bloom this year. On many of them the leaves turned brown. When I dug them up the corms were not diseased.,but many corms on each, so I divided and replanted them. We had a extremely wet spring and then a very dry summer so I had to water a lot. Will they flower next year?

Answer: As with most bulbs, the hardy gladiolus needs its foliage growing as healthy as possible to build its strength up so it can flower again. Flower quality and size depends on this, so if they are very small they may not be able to bloom next year. Digging them and replanting them so they each have ample space was a good idea and should help them bulk up faster. The year after next, you could hope to see blooms if all goes well. Make sure they are planted in a well drained location so they are not sitting in overly wet soil during wet weather or in the springtime when the soil tends to be moister naturally due to melting snow and seasonal rains. Good luck with your hardy glads!