The Q&A Archives: Hedging Screen

Question: What tall shrubs can I mix to hide a bad view. I need 12-15' in height, 4-5' in width. I have oak trees.

Answer: If you intend to plant directly beneath the oaks, you may want to reconsider. Oak trees don't like to have their roots disturbed, and they won't tolerate the amount of water required by other plants. They also resent competition from other plant roots. There are very few plants that will thrive when planted beneath oak trees. On the other hand, if you simply have oaks on your property and you intend to plant 25'-30' away, you can use Arborvitae as a screening hedge. They reach 12'-15' in height and about 4' wide. Or, you can plant Abelia, Photinia, Escallonia or Viburnum. All are broadleaf evergreens and all will reach the dimensions you require. Hope this information helps!