The Q&A Archives: What Is Proper Description For "self-cleaning-bloom" Azaleas

Question: What is proper description for "self-cleaning-bloom" azaleas? I would like to search for these varieties.

Answer: Exactly what is a self-cleaning plant? I divide them up into three categories. First are those that create no litter in the first place and therefore are always clean. Secondly are those invaluable plants that do not need to be deadheaded and will continue to flower inspite of neglect. And finally, there are those that are semi-self-cleaning, asking for a mid-summer haircut, but little more. I'd place the azalea in the second category. Another term for self-cleaning plants would be "low maintenance". If you do a web search on "self-cleaning plants" or "low maintenance plants" you should come up with some valuable lists. Good luck in your search!