The Q&A Archives: Evergreen Tree

Question: I am looking for an "evergreen" tree with lacy foliage for the front yard of our house.

I really like the weeping variety but I know that may not be possible. We tried the Acacia (river wattle) two times but both died on us.

Would like to keep it under 20-25 feet.

Thank you!

Answer: One good choice might be Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum). It's a fast growing deciduous coniferous tree, free of pests and diseases. Foliage sprays are very delicate and feathery; Orange-yellow fall color. It takes extremely wet conditions, but will tolerate rather dry soil. Bald Cypress is good along streams or ponds; needs only corrective pruning; grows 50-70' tall.

If you want a broadleaf evergreen rather than a deciduous tree with feathery (lacy) foliage, try Quercus glaucoides (Q. laceyi) - the Lacey Oak. This medium sized oak works well in small spaces; the blue-green leaves are very attractive and stand out as a good contrast, and the new growth has a peach color.

Hope one of these suggestions works well for you.