The Q&A Archives: Drooping Leaves

Question: I have 2 Mr. Goldstrike Aucuba. They were both doing good until the air turned chilly at nite. Now on one of them the leaves are drooping. Almost like it needs water, but the soil seems pretty moist. I have a habit of over watering my plants and killing them so I'm hesitate to water it with the soil being so moist. Could the drooping be caused by the cold? They are planted in the shade but might get about an hours worth of sun a day.

Answer: Aucuba prefers an evenly moist, humusy soil that is well drained, never sopping wet. Overwatering could cause it to droop, as could root rot type problems related to overly wet soil. Keep in mind that watering should only be done if needed, and that rain and cooler weather will reduce the need to water and often will eliminate the need for it. To know if and when you need to water, check the soil with your finger. Cold would not cause that; it is an evergreen and the leaves stay upright and in place during cold weather.