The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus

Question: just looking to find the type of fertilizer for my hibiscus tree from monrovia. i have a gardenia tree that calls for an acidic fertilizer. is it the same for my hibiscus?

Answer: According to the American Hibiscus Society, it is best for a potted tropical hibiscus to use a water soluble fertilizer that includes minor or trace elements along with an overall analysis of a proportion such as 10-10-10. They also suggest avoiding the bloom booster types as they may cause a buildup of phosophorus in the soil, and also warn against overfertilizing with nitrogen. Consequently, it is best to read and follow the label instructions to avoid overfeeding. Keep in mind also that as the plants grow more slowly in the winter months it is a good idea to reduce or even stop feeding until spring. The hibiscus do not require a fertilizer formulated for acid loving plants.