The Q&A Archives: Keeping My Ferns Over The Winter

Question: I have two large beautiful hanging ferns and I was wondering how to keep them alive over the winter.

Answer: It can be difficult to overwinter ferns indoors because our homes are often not humid enough. They will do best in high humidity and at cool room temperature in a bright location but out of hot direct sun. Keep them out of drafts, both warm and cold. Use a humidifier, or you can try setting them on a pebble tray. A pebble tray is simply a shallow pan filled with gravel to which water is added so it sits barely below the top of the stones. The pot is set on the stones so it sits just above (not in) the water. It humidifies as the water evaporates. You may find that they dry out at the tips if it is too warm and/or too dry. Trim these off as they occur, and in spring tidy the plant by removing any badly dried fronds, then gradually acclimate the plant to being outdoors again.