The Q&A Archives: My Roseum Elegans Is Wilting....

Question: I planted a Roseum Elegans rhododendron about two years ago. It bloomed and grew beautifully both spring seasons.
However, late this summer the leaves suddenly started wilting, and quickly at that. The leaves are now totally wilted. Note that I did spray a weed control in the area (although I semi-avoided the ground underneath the plant) and the wilting happened immediatley thereafter. What do I do now?

Answer: Unfortunately, this sounds too specifically related to be a coincidence. Herbicide spray can drift accidentally and would cause exactly the symptoms you have described. If ever this happens again, immediately wash the plant with copious amounts of water to try to rinse off and dilute the spray. At this point, there is nothing you can do except wait and see if it recovers. I'm really sorry.