The Q&A Archives: Advice On Ornamental Tree

Question: To whom this may concern:

I was wondering if someone could lend me some advice as I'am stumped, My problem is I want to plant a flowering tree BUT, it must have certin Characteristic's due to where it's to be planted. I am looking for a Ornamental tree
that will be beside a Redbud tree so color contrass is important, also a tree which grows no more than 15 FEET TALL
ADDITIONALLY, the tree must grow in an UPRIGHT or COLUMNARIS
fashion due to it's location which will be right outside our Sunroom I know that I am asking alot and any help you could send my way would be appricated very much.

Answer: You might find that one of the hardy hibiscus shrubs, Hibiscus syriacus, would do the job. These bloom in summer after the redbuds, are available in whites and pinks and purples, and can be pruned annually in late winter or early spring to a fairly tight columnar form. (Their natural shape is upright to about 12 feet with a width is not all that wide if you would prefer to avoid an extensive annual pruning job.) Another option would be to install a tall trellis sized to fit and grow a flowering vine on it, vines to consider would include clematis and the many attractive annual vines such as morning glories. The trellis would provide winter interest, structure and height while the vine could provide color of your choice. I hope this gives you some ideas.