The Q&A Archives: Bulbs & Squirrels

Question: Will planting mothballs with bulbs really keep squirrels from eating them?

Answer: Unfortunately, no. Also, this is just not recommended as mothballs are not registered for garden use and can also be poisonous to pets and children. The best defense against squirrels in my experience is to cover the planting area with wire mesh such as chicken wire to keep them from digging. Some gardeners report success with dipping the bulbs in products such as Ropel immediately prior to planting, and some have had good results using repellent sprays over the planting area. I have personally resorted to planting only daffodils which squirrels (and deer usually) do not eat. Tulips on the other hand seem to be a particularly favorite squirrel treat. Good luck with your bulbs!