The Q&A Archives: Groundcover

Question: I have a row of evergreens along the northern side of my house. Because of the acidity nothing grows in that area. Even the grass is patchy and unhealthy. I would like to have some flowering groundcover in that area. Which is the best cover for acidic soils?

Answer: Acid soil may be only one of the problems associated with planting under evergreens. The soil under such trees is typically dry because tree roots drink up all the moisture, and tree canopies block natural rainfall. Shade can be a problem as well. So, taking all of these challenges into consideration, why not try planting Pachysandra, Vinca minor, Lamium (dead nettle), or Ajuga in the site? All perform well in my garden under pine trees and they're all well-behaved (non-invasive) groundcovers.