The Q&A Archives: Where Can I Find The Ornmental Sweet Potato Vine & Growing Coditions?

Question: Is the ornmental sweet potato vine an annual or perennial?
What growing conditions are required & how big & tall does it grow. I think the pretty bright green vines I have seen around town are this plant but I am not sure. Would appreciate any info on this or a like plant.

Answer: The ornamental sweet potato vine called Marguerite would match the description, it is grown as an annual in cold winter climates such as yours. It is generally purchased prestarted in a container in late spring and can be planted outdoors after all danger of frost and once the soil has had some time to warm up. It is very sensitive to cold in the spring -- both cold air and cold soil. It grows quickly in warm soil and loves a hot sunny location along with rich soil. You should be able to find it at local garden centers with the specialty annuals or in mail order catalogs such as Burpee next spring.