The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Pampas Grass - Ivory Feathers

Question: Can you please tell me if it is difficult to start new dwarf pampas grass from existing plant's seed & how it is done.
thank you.

Answer: In most cases, ornamental grasses are propagated by division in early spring before or just as they begin to grow again. This results in larger, robust plants much faster than growing them from seed, and is a lot easier for the home gardener to do, so that is what I would recommend instead of seed. The Ivory Feathers Dwarf Pampas grass or Cortaderia selloana 'Pumila' is propagated by division to ensure uniformity as well. If you wish to try the seeds plant them in the spring, keep evenly moist but not sopping wet, and provide the plants with very bright light since they are full sun lovers. Be sure to harden them off gradually before setting the plants into the garden. Enjoy your pampas grass!