The Q&A Archives: No Growth/has Never Had Buds Gardenia

Question: I have a miniature gardenia in a terracotta pot. It has never grown and has never even had 1 bud. It has a very special meaning to me. A family member died. I placed 2 on a grave. I now have the one and I am afraid I will eventually lose it if I don't get help. Thank you.

Answer: Growing healthy gardenia plants can be a challenge, even for seasoned gardeners. You're lucky, though, because your mild weather makes it possible to grow gardenia's outdoors. Many gardeners must winter them over indoors.

Gardenias require a rich, very acid soil (pH 4.5 to 5.0). An abundance of moisture and high humidity is the most important factor in successful gardenia culture.

Unfortunately, gardenia is often a disappointment to gardeners because it can be very, very demanding. For flower buds to form and thrive, night temperatures need to be between 60-65F. During the day, temperatures should be 70-75F. A very constant, even temperature is required or buds will drop. Bright light is essential, but avoid direct mid-day sun in the summer. Best of luck with your gardenia!