The Q&A Archives: Screen Between My Fence And Pool.

Question: I have a big problem. A house is being built 6'5" on the other side of my fence. I'd like to find a tree that will grow 25'-40' in a few years. This tree probably needs to have leaves year round, possibly evergreen. I need to plant these trees along a fence 30' wide and 4-5' deep. Hopefully it should be fairly clean. People have suggeted Carolina Cherry and Italian Cypress. If I were to use the cypress is there a good way to make them grow fast and merge as a hedge?

Any advice is apreciated.

Thank You
Kris Knutson

Answer: Trees that grow 25'-40' high will have large canopies, which will encroach on your neighbor's property (and quite possibly their roof!). Instead of trees, why not plant Thuja (arborvitae)? These columnar evergreen shrubs will reach the height you desire and remain only 3'-4' in diameter so they'll fit in the space you have. They're reasonably litter-free (good for near your pool) and they're almost maintenance free. They have a moderate growth rate, meaning they'll put on 6"-12" of new growth each year. You can plant them on 4' centers; closer if you want quicker density for a faster developing privacy screen. Best wishes with your screening hedge.