The Q&A Archives: Flowering House Plants

Question: Can you tell me about a few flowering house plants that will do well in an apartment? I have a few windows that get 5-6 hours sunlight daily.

Answer: There are so many flowering houseplants for you to consider! Most require bright light for at least a few hours a day and it sounds as though you can supply that. Try tropical hibiscus, Abutilon (flowering maple), Allamanda, Begonia, Orchid, Fuchsia, Datura, Hoya, or Gloxinia. All of these plants like bright light and average household temperatures. If the air indoors is dry, place the pot on a layer of gravel in a tray filled with a half-inch of water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plants and make them happy. Enjoy your new houseplants!