The Q&A Archives: Evergreen 20 Feet Tall

Question: I need a pretty evergreen tree about 20 to 25 feet tall to cover my neighbor's 2 story building. There is about 20 feet between their house and our house. They can look into our yard. Our gardener suggested Dwarf Southern Magnolia and I kind of like Golden Wonder (Senna). What is your opinion? Do you have any other suggestions?

Answer: The canopy on a magnolia tree will be about as wide as the tree is tall. Southern magnolias tend to grow 20' tall and wide. This might be crowding the space a bit, considering there's only 20' between the two houses. Other trees that are attractive, moderately fast growing, and have the growth habit to fit in the space you describe include Acacia, Clethra arborea (Lily of the Valley), Drimys winteri, Rhaphiolepis 'Majestic Beauty', and Eriobotrya japonica (loquat). Hope one of these suggestions appeals to you!