The Q&A Archives: Pink Climbing Rose

Question: I have a nice arch at my entry way. Along the roof line is a blue-ish wisteria. I'd like to put in a climbing rose. I'm hoping to find one that is: fragrant, long blooming, in the pink family (like Cecil Brunner or Queen Elizabeth in color shade), and disease resistant. Is this too much to ask? I'm hoping to find one, and a reliable source to buy it from, ASAP! Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! Sincerely, Renie Falor

Answer: 'America' is a favorite climber. It's a vigorous, bushy plant with bright green leaves. The large flowers are coral-pink with a spicy fragrance. It tops the list of disease resistant climbers. A second suggestion is 'Dr. J. H. Nicolas', with heavily fragrant large, round, rose-pink flowers on upright, slender canes. The foliage is dark-green and leathery. This plant is highly disease-resistant.

'New Dawn' produces pale pink flowers over a long season, and 'Dorothy Perkins' boasts springtime bloom of fragrant, rose-pink flowers. Neither are listed as highly disease resistant, but both are worth considering.

You can purchase these roses locally from Petaluma Rose Company (707-769-8862), or from Jackson & Perkins (800-292-4769. Enjoy your new climbing rose!